You want to go to nursing school but you haven’t decided yet what you actually want to do for a living after you graduate? Let us introduce you to some of the subdomains you can choose from.
Intensive Care Nurse
- Participate in the preparation of the patient anesthesia, under the guidance of the ATI doctor.
- Check the equipment before use and report any incident to the ATI doctor.
- Supervise the patient and administer the intraoperative treatment, as directed by the doctor.
- Follow the post-operative evolution of the patient until his/her transfer to the next medical department.
- Record the daily clinical observations, such as the medical evolution, medication the patient took under your observation, therapeutic diagnosis or the results of the various laboratory analyzes.
- Assist the dentist to prepare dental materials and fillings.
- Disinfect and sterilize all dental instruments
- Prepare injections for local anesthesia before the extractions.
- Prepare materials for taking teeth molds and transmit dental prints, x-rays, and other documents to the dental technician.
- Track patients’ medical records.
- Manage and schedule client’s appointment, answer phone calls, educate patients about their dental hygiene and make sure that the waiting room is always in order and clean.
- Organize the workspace and specific activities required for the distribution of medicines and sanitary materials.
- Ensure storage shelves are properly stocked.
- Verify release documents are properly completed, contain the prescription and signature of the prescribing physician as well as the signature of the section head doctor.
- Recommend how to administer the medicines issued, according to the doctor’s prescription and provide additional information of possible adverse reactions.
- Keep the pharmacy equipment and instrumentation in good condition and respect the medical code of ethics and deontology.
This article is the first of a series about the medical subdomains in which a nurse can work. We will continue the series with several examples of sub-domains, with an emphasis on responsibilities.
Read the next parts: